When you sign in to your account, we take precautions to protect your account. First, whenever you sign in to your Amazon account, you sign in using a secure server connection (https://). We use Transport Security Layer (TLS)/Secure Socket Layer (SSL) with 128 bit encryption, the industry standard in secure server protection.
Your account is also protected by a unique password that you create. Remember these guidelines when creating your password:
- Avoid using common words or phrases as your password.
- Your password should be at least six characters and include both numbers and letters in both upper- and lowercase.
- We also recommend that you keep this password confidential. Sharing your password can compromise the security of your Amazon account.
Secure your account with two-step verification
We recommend that you add another level of security to your account by setting up two-step verification, also known as multi-factor authentication (MFA). When you turn on two-step verification, each time you sign in to Amazon with your password, we'll send to your mobile phone a security code that you also need to enter before you can access your account. This means that if your password is compromised, no one can use your password alone to go into your account.
Turn on two-step verification
Watch video on YouTube showing how to set up two-step verification for your Amazon account.
- Sign in to Amazon.com, click Account & Lists, and then click Your Account.
- On your Amazon account page, click Login & security, and then for Advanced Security Settings click Edit.
- On the Advanced Security Settings page, click Get Started.
- Choose how you want to receive verification codes:
- By text message on your mobile phone: Enter your full primary mobile phone number (which must be able to receive SMS messages), and then click Send code.
- By automated voice call: Enter your full primary phone number, and then click Call me now.
- By using an authenticator app on your mobile phone: Click Add the new Authenticator App, open the authenticator app on your phone (or download one from the App Store), add an account within the app, and then scan the barcode shown.
- Add a phone number and choose the delivery format (text message or voice call).
- Download and configure an authenticator app. This lets you generate security codes when you can't receive messages on your device.
For help recovering access to an account that has been secured with two-step verification, see Two-step verification account recovery.